Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Spent Grain Recipes


Spent Grain Supper Biscuits

After making a batch of beer I tend to throw my grains in the compost heap. during the spring and summer this is no big deal. Organic material is broken down or eaten by the critters in the woods behind the house.  Good soil feeds the garden and the garden feeds me and keeps the brew coming in.  

The problem with compost as its getting colder is things don't break down as fast. My pumpkin will still look like a pumpkin on thanksgiving day where as the 20 lbs of used pears from the pear wine in primary turned into a mass of gooey brown dirt within two week in the summer. 

the solution is reusing the grains in the kitchen.  I have heard of people using spent grain to make granola and dog treats but since I am not a dog or a hippie I made biscuits.

The grains I used are leftover from a hefe-wiezen and the wheat might have made a difference in the recipe but I doubt it.

Here is what I did:

Spent Grain Supper Biscuits

2 cups spent grains
3 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 stick butter (4 tbsp)
cold milk

Mash all the dry ingredients and butter together until its all mixed up well and the butter clumps everything up like a pie crust would be.  Pour milk in the mix and use a fork to incorporate. Once you get a really stiff dough use the same fork to spoon the dough onto a greasy cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 13 minutes.

Try this out and let me know what you think.  I'm eating one right now and sucking down a blueberry witbier. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment